Friday 27 April 2012

Push Presents - to buy or not to buy?!





Push presents are a hot topic amongst my girlfriends, from diamond rings to Chloe bags, the trend seems to be getting bigger and bigger and ever more extravagant. One of the first things mentioned amongst NCT meetings is what pressie you're getting, and after popping a sprog numerous friends secretly ask what He is buying you. 
If you have never heard of push presents, it is basically the idea that your husband or partner buy you a gift as some kind of a reward for giving birth. Whether you get one every time you have a baby or not is another question entirely.
When asking my husband what he thinks of push presents, apart from the initial expletives, he replies "Surely a baby is the biggest gift I could ever give you??" Sarcastic or not it got me thinking; where and why did this idea of push presents even materialise? Is it just a commercial money making scheme from clever high street jewellers and retailers? Or has it stemmed from husbands shocked at the whole birthing and labour drama that they feel eternally indebted and humbled by what their darling wives have just gone through? Hmmm, maybe not.
I do understand it can be seen as a little materialistic. However when you otherwise feel and look like crap, surviving on no sleep, and with boobs that have been forever surrendered to a screaming, puking, pooing machine, surely getting a little something special can be a real pick me up.
I'm still not sold on the whole thing and the cringe worthy title "push present" is enough to put anyone off.
So ladies, what do you think? Have you or haven't you received a push present? And have we all succumbed to clever marketing and peer pressure or do we deserve diamonds at this already crazy and money draining time in our lives??

10 comments:

  1. Enjoyable read! I knew of them as 'maternity rings' - clever marketing take to deliver another 'eternity ring' I guess! And yes, I did get one - in our case I think driven by the shock factor! But it was a lovely gesture - not an expected one, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maternity rings?! interesting! so nice that yours wasn't expected, what a treat! xxx

      Delete
  2. Well I have to say I'm a little put out - Push presents didn't exist when i gave birth or at least thats what my other half tells me hmm. I have pushed out FOUR bambinos, including twins I hasten to add with little more than some tea and toast??? Who says romance is dead!

    Not sure Mr Bold would have bought into the whole marketing ploy, little shocks him, but I say get what you can, and If i was to ever push again (never gonna happen) I would demand the blingiest of push presents ;)

    Although I do have one question, what happens if you have a c-section? do you lose out on a techicality? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very good point! who knows?! But as you say get what you can ;-) xxxx

      Delete
  3. I didn't get a push present but I got a card the night before my baby girl was born and I got a card the next year too on her first birthday- to me that means the most. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats so sweet, words are definitely more important xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow I never knew they were called push presents. They have certainly become a trend over recent years. My hubby bought me a ring after the birth of my third child as we knew we would have no more - a ring with a blue diamond in the middle and 2 white diamonds either side to represent 1 son and 2 girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats so sweet! great work to your hubby xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm either too old or I live in the wrong place I have never heard of push presents. I'll let dh know he owes me! Mich x

    ReplyDelete